Do not underestimate the deterioration of smell – can be the first symptom of some ENT diseases and neurological disorders.
The olfactory cells are part of nerve cells in the human body, which directly receive stimuli from the external environment. The stimulus stimulant particles are inhaled olfactory powietrza. Healthy man is able to feel more than 100,000 different odors.
The most common disorders occur in the case of:
- nasal obstruction,
- Chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps.
- chronic rhinitis,
- curvature of the nasal septum,
- turbinate hypertrophy,
- allergic inflammation of the nasal mucosa,
- acute sinusitis with involvement of the olfactory portion of the nasal mucosa,changes in the mucous membranes of the nasal cavities (for example. the disorder mucus secretion or composition)
- malformations and post-traumatic changes, tumor of the nose and nasopharynx.
The study of smell is used a set of ‘Sniffin’ Sticks-Olfactory Test ‘.
This test is a professional, standardized method of evaluating smell. The test is performed by a skilled diagnostician Agnieszka Korkosz- Mierzejewska MD. On the basis of the test is determined threshold of smell and assessed the ability to differentiate and identify the odor. The final result of the test of smell is the result of the above parameters. After the test, we obtain information if the sense of smell is correct, and if not, to what extent weakened. Depending on the result of the research appropriate pharmacological treatment or surgical is proposed.